Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A clean looking car with dirty secrets

The next year worked perfectly to plan.  I registered and drove the truck around and learned what I wanted to do with my project.  It looked cool, sounded cool, was fun to drive, and drew looks.
What I did learn is that although it looked cool,  I didn't get the deal I thought.  While I was never lied to - it's amazing what can get concealled in pictures.  So while I did enjoy the summer of curising around - it got more and more embarassing to actually stop and let people see the truck up close.
Here's what I learned that was wrong - in the order I noticed it:
1) What is that banging everytime you hit a bump?  It's the entire front clip bouncing on the frame because it's not bolted down.
2)  The mysterious power steering leak is revealed.  The boots on the rack were actually glued on.  Possibly with "great stuff".  I kid you not.
3)  Ever loose the lights on a pitch black night while going 55 and merging into traffic?  Wouldn't recommend it.  Ever.  I didn't die, but I was led on a merry chase of spaghetti wiring.  Thought I fixed it several times, but the lights would mysteriously cut out randomly.
4)  Dead battery.  Not a new battery needed.  Nor an alternator.  After a lot of searching I found a weakly secured ground line that had rubbed off the casing and was draining the system.  However, now I had a new battery and alternator.
5)   Brake lights out.  New switch didn't work.  More wiring problems.
6)  The reason it seemed to brake funny was because there were two different leaf springs used in the rear suspension.  I'm all for junkyard finds - but this seemed to be pushing it.
7)  Lastly and most importantly - it became very clear via cracks in the paint and the pealing back of carpet that there was A LOT more bondo in use than I hope for out of a Texas car.  This could be ugly.

The end result - I didn't need to just change a few things.  This entire car stung of duct tape and "good enough" that I just didn't like.  Time for a full rebuild down to the frame and back up.  At least then when something goes wrong, I'll know who's to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment